For the first time I am working with a newspaper site. So last few days I have been looking into the famous news websites so much and I could even see those in my dreams. the guardian is the best in everyway… it influenced me from the very beginning. It’s amazing how the designer designed it only with the contents… it has a feeling like nothing could be better than this. New York Times is another best one with the conventional newspaper feelings. Independent is a good example of placing ads. Los angelos times is modern with a flavor of conventionality. Washington post is a site with two logos… ha ha ha… they are in real dilemma with the old and new. Bbc is classic, cnn is well designed… and many more…
My client gave a book from their archive ‘the best of newspaper design 27’. It’s a huge world… and I know nothing about it.
Working with logo is one of the biggest challenges for any designer. It’s like a seed which contains a big tree inside it. So many things relate it. Different designer keeps different strategy in designing logo. I always try to emphasize the typography. I always prefer a newly created font… but it doesn’t happen all the time. I have weakness in few specific fonts. In using color I am too conservative… its not good I know, but it’s my way of work.
Click here to view some of my logo works which I’ve done in last 2 years. Mostly were done as mockup.
sometime actually most of the time when I work, I feel myself so lucky that I have the opportunity to work (one thing should be clear: here work means which will bring you some money, food or fame or some other materialistic benefits). Leisure is good but it’s a really awful when you don’t have anything to do for a long time. So let us discuss how to make opportunities to work and definitely I’ll talk here from the perspective of a graphic designer.
1. Most importantly you need a job… no matter how much they are paying you. You need a platform to learn and show your talent.
2. It’s my belief that in this universe very few people are extra ordinary talented… real creative and definitely I am not among them. So when I work I never try to do any extra ordinary thing… don’t think that this work is going to be a milestone… I just try to understand what the client wants to say, I try to imagine a visual which ten other ordinary people also able to do. It always helps to reduce the pressure of the work.
3. Don’t be silent… share your ideas with your friends, colleagues… even sometime with the rickshaw pullers. It’ll help you to expand your work scope.
4. Patience is too important for a designer… there is no alternative. So keep practicing typography lot… it’ll help you to increase your skill and patience both.
5. Don’t give up any scope of work unless you are in a huge pressure. Sometime work just as volunteer… it helps building reputation.
Ha ha ha… so clever and wise writing! Did I ever follow any of these? I know you have your own way of working. Just keep the faith on you… you’ll be the part of the next history…
Typography is known as a boring subject to many of my friends. I also kept the same observation some years back. Now it’s one of my favorite. If anyone wants to grow as a great Graphic Designer, it’s one of the biggest area to show your talent.
When you are good at typography that means you are really good in creating logo, monogram, icon and above everything it presents that you have a very good sense of design compositions.
A Graphic Designer always has to work with many limitations. Spending time with typography is the best practice to learn how to work with limitations.